Alonso extends Aston Martin deal until end of 2026

Formula 1

Products You May Like

Fernando Alonso on track at the Japanese Grand Prix at SuzukaReuters

Fernando Alonso has signed to stay with Aston Martin in Formula 1 for at least the next two seasons.

Alonso, 42, who was out of contract at the end of this season, has a new deal that will extend until at least the end of 2026, Aston Martin said.

It means Alonso will be driving in F1 at least until he is 45, and possibly beyond.

He said retirement “never went to my mind”, adding: “I felt I love driving too much to stop at the moment.”

Staying at Aston Martin was a “natural decision”, once Alonso had made up his mind that he was prepared to make the life sacrifices that would be required by staying in F1.

Team principal Mike Krack says the two-time world champion “is hungry for success, driving better than ever, is fitter than ever”.

“He is completely dedicated to making Aston Martin a competitive force,” Krack said.

“Securing Fernando’s long-term future with Aston Martin is fantastic news. We have built a strong working relationship over the last 18 months and we share the same determination to see this project succeed.

“We have been in constant dialogue over the last few months and Fernando has been true to his word: when he decided he wanted to continue racing, he talked to us first. Fernando has shown he believes in us, and we believe in him.”

The decision takes Alonso out of the equation for potential seats at Red Bull and Mercedes next season.

Alonso said he had talked to other teams, but added: “I felt the most wanted in Aston Martin. The other conversations were just light and maybe more time was needed, whereas in Aston there was a clear desire to work together and it was the same I had.”

Alonso joined Aston Martin at the start of the 2023 season and the pairing became one of the star attractions of last year.

Aston Martin made a remarkable leap to the front, and not only was Alonso able to return to the podium for the first time since 2013, but he also scored podiums in six of the first eight races.

He was widely regarded as one of the outstanding performers of the 2023 season, with a series of impressive drives before the team slipped from competitiveness.

Had the team made the right choice of tyres in a late-race rain shower, he would have beaten world champion Max Verstappen’s Red Bull to victory in Monaco.

The driver market is in flux this season following Lewis Hamilton’s move from Mercedes to Ferrari for 2025 and amid unrest at Red Bull, because of the controversy over allegations about team principal Christian Horner’s behaviour towards a female employee. Horner has denied any wrongdoing.

Alonso was of interest to both teams, so choosing to stay at Aston Martin is a big vote of confidence in the team as they seek to move towards the front of the grid.

It also buries claims that Honda’s role with Aston could be a problem for Alonso, who upset the Japanese manufacturer with some public complaints about their engine when they were working together at McLaren from 2015-17.

Watch on iPlayer banner

Watch on iPlayer footer

Related Topics

Related Internet Links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external sites.

Products You May Like

Articles You May Like

Leclerc fastest as Verstappen has ‘bad day’
PGA Championship live updates, leaderboard: Scottie Scheffler gets to 9-under after arrest, Xander Schauffele back on top
2024 PGA Championship tee times, pairings: Complete schedule on TV, groups in Round 1 on Thursday at Valhalla
Edwin Diaz’s future as Mets closer is ‘fluid’ amid recent poor outings
Caitlin Clark Indiana Fever jersey: Here’s how you can buy WNBA star’s new jersey on Fanatics